2/03/2009

Two puzzle pieces.

Is it possible for a 30 year old to feel comforted and safe by a 3 year old? yes. It happened today, for sure.

It was a very small gesture that I am not sure I could explain clearly, but today I was sitting on the couch and Livi climbed into a super comfy position directly next to me. Almost as if we both were puzzle pieces and she squirmed her way in to be a perfect match. Then she put her one hand over my belly as if to hug me. What she did with her other hand is what really caught me off guard. As if she knew that what she was doing, made me feel loved. safe. cozy. Like if her hand could talk, it would have said, "aww, sweetie, I love you" She stategically placed the fold of her arm under my chin (once again, like a puzzle piece) and her hand reached the top of my cheekbone (almost my ear). She wiggle her fingers until her hand perfectly cupped my face. She then gently tapped her fingers along my cheek from her pinky on up and repeated the motions. So delicate, yet so loving.

No words were exchanged. But it warmed my heart in so many ways. For a moment, I realized how mature she is becoming. How much she can comfort me and make me feel loved. Then I realized that she is growing into this beautiful, loving little girl. For so many years, it has been me going over to her to snuggle. And making her feel safe, loved, and comforted.

I may feel like my days are filled with giving to the girls, but moments like these make it all worth it. And makes me realize I am getting way more than I could ever give.

No comments: