12/09/2008

The magic of christmas.....

Today my mom and I went to the mall. Liv insisted for over an hour that she wanted to see Santa. This shocked us because she has always wanted to stay as far away as possible from santa. I guess all of the santa talk and xmas movies have really gotten her excited. After lunch we went down to see santa. She started to back out and say she just wanted to see him but not talk to him. We approached the carousel and Liv enjoyed petting the ponies and all of the magical decorations. She reminded us time and time again, "I don't want to talk to santa. I don't want to sit on santa's lap...." We kept saying okay but just hoped she would do it.

Well, no matter how well I try to retell the story, it won't sound as precious as it truly was..... My mom was holding her and we walked toward santa. It was just us and santa, no other kids or crowd. We stood about 6 feet away from him. He said hello. Liv was star struck with a little (or alot) of fear. All of the sudden her little voice said, "My name is Olivia". My mom and I both couldn't hold back the tears. We knew how much courage it took for her to talk to him. For three years, she has been deathly afraid of him. He said "Hi, Olivia. what would you like for Christmas?" While clinging to my mom and in her shy little voice she said, "a pink polka dot phone". Santa offered to shake liv's hand but she denied. Talking to him was a far as she would go.

My mom and I were just full of tears. We hugged her and just were so proud. It is a moment only a parent or grandparent would find so precious. It was so magical to her. She actually had a conversation with Santa with no other kid to fight for attention. It felt like a movie scene.

This is the first year, I as a parent, really can enjoy the magic of christmas. She fully gets it this year...... I am not sure who is more excited her or I.....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You told the story just fine! It brought me to tears, I can only imagine how it was being there. She's growing up!

Oppelt said...

It brought tears to my eyes while eating soup and taking a break from reading over wireframes reading instead about Katrina life. That is so sweet and brought a smile to my day.