11/17/2008

nighttime routine.

I need to remember this in 20 years.......

Every night Charlotte goes to bed at 7 and Liv 8. Liv enjoys that last hour with us as solo time. Charlotte gets her solo time at 3 am.
Liv usually runs around and plays in the basement with Ry. She dances, paints, plays grocery store..... but at about 7:30 we head upstairs for pjs and time to wind down. She lays in bed with us and we watch Noggin. The night routine is so exact. It starts with me giving her a 1 minute warning of bed time. Then she turns and gives daddy a kiss. She tries to insist on a binky kiss but he fights for a lip kiss. He wins. Then she jumps in my arms and kisses me while I walk her into her room. As I put her in bed she repeats over and over an over "I can't sleep" ( ironically that is her code for I am tired). I lay her down, she says I want my green blanket and dora blanket. As I layer her up she hands me her binks and says "This has hair on it". I pretend to get it off since she pretended it had it in the first place. Then she says turn my up fan and down fan on (translation-ceiling fan and humidifier). I turn them on then walk and shut her door and lock the gate (yes I still have a gate at her door so she can't roam the house at night).

About two minutes later I hear a thump. Then about 2 more minutes later she opens her door and I hear about three thuds. Each are random toys or books or clothes. She mumbles to herself,"I don't need this." (refer back to the picture I posted of what our hallway looks like). I then open her gate and she leads me to her bed. I say nothing. She climbs over her bedrail by herself (this is crucial. if I touch her while climbing into bed, she has to start alllll over again). I layer her up for once last time and walk out. I close the door and the gate..........

Now that has been our EXACT night routine for at least the past 4 months. Literally to the T. EVERY NIGHT. IN the same EXACT order......Works for her and me. It only lasts about 8 minutes max. Liv you are a piece of work..... love you!!!

No comments: