8/21/2009

Testing, Testing, 1, 2, Testing.

This week has been a bit of a change from last (to say the least).  With an "almost 4 year old" who has been testing the waters and pushing me to my limit AND a 1 year old whose 4 molars are making their final ways through the gum, you get a mom who is about 2 seconds away from driving herself to the psych ward.  
Liv usually isn't a bad kid.  What I tell her is she is "a good kid who sometimes makes bad choices".  I am starting to realize her acting up is out of true boredom and this Pennsylvania Heat Wave isn't helping.  As much as I am dreading the day that I send my "little baby" off to preschool, I know it is exactly what we need.  It is only 2 hours, but 2 hours for her to miss me and to tire herself out with all of her new friends.
This week she tested me on an average of 10 times a day (although it may have felt like 10 times an hour).  The one test that tops them all was putting a barbie shoe halfway in Charlotte's mouth and saying, "hey, mom, look at this?"  I am sure I failed that discipline test and didn't handle it up to par according to Supernanny.....
So today, I woke up and wanted to start off fresh.  She had a fantastic day aside from dragging her shoe along the ground while I was pushing the double stroller and making my walk from the mall to the car more difficult then necessary .  I called her friend Lucy and decided to invite her over for a "big girl" playdate.  One where her mommy drops her off and leaves her here to play.  A playdate that didn't involve an unsturdy 1 year old who climbs the perimeter of the room to hunt her big sister down.  Lucy's mommy (my good friend Denise was excited as well because she has been dealing with an "almost 4 year old" who is trapped inside from the heat too).  Lucy has a little brother who is Charlotte's age.  SO while the little ones napped, the older ones weren't chasing their mommy's around and driving them nuts.  
All I can say is, Liv and Lucy were ANGELS.  That is an understatement.  They played for 4 hours and only asked me for something ONCE.  They spent over 1.5 hour playing house and another 1.5 playing some sort of "rescue me game" where they took turns using a bright yellow jump rope to pull the other one off of liv's bed (AKA the boat).

Is it possible that I let a 4 year old babysit my 4 year old today?

Denise and I decided we need to do this OFTEN, like weekly.  So instead of the girls being bored and resorting to acting up while the little ones nap, they can use their imagination and play (AKA babysit each other).  And most importantly, the mom's can start regaining their sanity.

Check out this article that really hit home when I saw Liv and Lucy playing.  http://www.npr.org/templates/text/s.php?sId=19212514&m=1


No comments: